Sharmistha Mishra (Principal Investigator)
I am an infectious disease physician and mathematical modeler. I currently hold a Tier 2 Canada Research Chair in Mathematical Modeling and Program Science.
I grew up in Rourkela, Odisha (India) and then Sudbury, Ontario (Canada). I went to Laurentian University (BSc) and University of Toronto (MD, Internal Medicine Residency, Infectious Diseases Fellowship) and Imperial College London (MSc, Modern Epidemiology; PhD Mathematical Modeling). In 2007, I did my clinical tropical medicine training at the Gorgas Course in Tropical Medicine. So I went to school for a long time and yup, I really like learning.
I started on faculty at University of Toronto in Dec 2014 – and now I am working with a core team of amazing scientists and creative thinkers; with insightful fellows and clever students; and with terrific colleagues in several parts of the world. When I am not on clinical service, I spend a lot of time questioning and adapting my reasoning/logic, staring at results and figures, and debugging. And model checking. Writing. Reading. Writing. Teaching. Debugging. Between December 2014 and July 2015, I had an opportunity to work with the World Health Organization to support the Sierra Leone Ministry of Health and Sanitation during the 2014-2016 Ebola outbreak. The work spurred new partnerships and projects.
My primary appointments:
- Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Toronto
- Clinician Scientist, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, University of Toronto
- Scientist, MAP Centre for Urban Health Solutions, St. Michael’s Hospital of Unity Health Toronto
Graduate trainee supervisory appointments:
- Institute of Medical Sciences
- Institute of Health Policy, Management, and Evaluation, Dalla Lana School of Public Health
I was supported by:
- University of Toronto Clinician Scientist Training Program (2008-2012)
- British Commonwealth Scholarship (2008-2009)
- Canadian Institute of Health Research Fellowship (2010-2015)
- Canadian Institute of Health Research and Ontario HIV Treatment Network New Investigator (2015-2020)