Gary is a geospatial and data analyst with the Ontario Community Health Profiles Partnership (OCHPP), a small team of health data experts at MAP Centre for Urban Health Solutions. As part of the collaboration between OCHPP and the Mishra Lab to support analyses and modeling for the COVID-19 response, Gary was seconded to the Mishra Lab for one day per week starting in March 2020.
Gary has a deep understanding of the data and variables in the Census, and has provided the geographic context surrounding social and structural determinants of health, including the wrangling of spatial data into custom geographies suitable for small area health and sociodemographic analysis. In his role at OCHPP, Gary has contributed to the 2016 Ontario Marginalization Index, the 2016 Canadian Marginalization Index and was part of a project team reporting on the Geographic Variation in Primary Care Need, Service Use and Providers in Ontario, published by ICES in August 2018. As a member of the Mishra Lab, he has contributed to data and analysis that supported a vaccination strategy for essential workers in neighbourhood hotspots – work that was presented at the Ontario COVID-19 Science Advisory Table.
Gary holds a Master of Spatial Analysis from Ryerson University, a Bachelor of Applied Science in Civil Engineering from the University of Waterloo and pursued a Master of Engineering degree at McMaster University. He practiced as a Professional Engineer for more than 10 years – and then discovered GIS, spatial statistics, and data analysis and visualization.
As part of the Mishra Lab team, Gary has co-authored following papers and reports:
- Mishra S, Ma H, Moloney G, Yiu K.C.Y, Darvin D, Landsman D, Kwong J.C., Calzavara A, Straus S, Chan A.K., Gournis E, Rilkoff H, Xia Y, Katz A, Williamson T, Malikov K, Kustra R, Maheu-Giroux M, Sander S, Baral S. (2021). Increasing concentration of COVID-19 by socioeconomic determinants and geography in Toronto, Canada: an observational study. Ann Epidemiol. doi: 10.1016/j.annepidem.2021.07.007.
- Mishra S, Stall NM, Ma H, et al. A vaccination strategy for Ontario COVID-19 hotspots and essential workers. (2021). Science Briefs of the Ontario COVID-19 Science Advisory Table. 2(26). https://doi.org/10.47326/ocsat.2021.02.26.1.0
- Rao A, Ma H, Moloney G, Kwong JC, Juni P, Sander, Kustra R, Baral S, Mishra S. (2021). A disproportionate epidemic: COVID-19 cases and deaths among essential workers in Toronto, Canada. Ann Epidemiol. Volume 63, p 63 – 67. doi: 10.1016/j.annepidem.2021.07.010.
- Chagla Z, Ma H, Sander B, Baral S, Moloney G, Mishra S. (2021). Assessment of the burden of SARS-CoV-2 variants of concern among essential workers in the Greater Toronto Area, Canada. JAMA Netw Open. doi: 10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2021.30284.
- Xia Y, Ma H, Moloney G, Velásquez García H, Sirski M, Janjua N, Vickers D, Williamson T, Katz A, Yu K, Kustra R, Buckeridge D, Brisson M, Baral S, Mishra S, Maheu-Giroux M. (2021). Geographical concentration of COVID-19 cases by social determinants of health in 16 large metropolitan areas in Canada – a cross-sectional study. [Preprint available: https://doi.org/10.1101/2021.07.23.21261039]