Huiting Ma (Senior Data Scientist – Analyst)
Huiting completed her Master of Science in Statistics at the University of British Columbia, followed by a research analyst position at the Institute of Clinical Evaluative Sciences in Ontario, Canada, where she worked on large administrative databases to inform policy making. Her research interests lie in using epidemiological and biostatistical methods to conduct HIV/STI research.
She is leading observational epidemiology studies as part of the Transitions project, the Ontario HIV incidence project, and the tPAF projects. Her projects include statistical modeling, empiric estimation, and bias adjustments to parameterize and calibrate HIV transmission models in Kenya, Canada, South Africa, and Eswatini. She is also leading analyses for the Sierra Leone Ebola Disease Outbreak project.
Huiting has participated as a first author or co-author on these team papers:
- Ma H, Yiu KC, Baral SD, Fahim C, Moloney G, Darvin D, Landsman D, Chan AK, Straus S, Mishra S (2022). COVID-19 cases among facility-staff by neighbourhood of residence and social and structural determinants: An observational study. JMIR Public Health Surveil. doi: 10.2196/34927
- Xia Y, Ma H*, Moloney G, García HAV, Sirski M, Janjua N, Vickers D, Williamson T, Katz A, Yu K, Kustra R, Buckeridge D, Brisson M, Baral S, Mishra S, Maheu-Giroux M. (2022). Geographical concentration of COVID-19 cases by social determinants of health in 16 large metropolitan areas in Canada – a cross-sectional study. CMAJ, 194: E195-E204. doi: 10.1503/cmaj.211249.
- Knight J, Ma H, Ghasemi A, Hamilton M, Brown K, Mishra S. (2022). Adaptive data-driven age and patch mixing in contact networks with recurrent mobility. MethodsX, 9. doi: 10.1016/j.mex.2021.101614.
- Tsang J, Fowler R, Cook D, Ma H, Binnie A. (2021). How can we increase participation in pandemic research in Canada? Can J Anesth/J Can Anesth. doi: 10.1007/s12630-021-02119-7
- Chagla Z, Ma H, Sander B, Baral S, Moloney G, Mishra S. (2021). Assessment of the Burden of SARS-CoV-2 Variants of Concern Among Essential Workers in the Greater Toronto Area, Canada. JAMA Netw Open. doi: 10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2021.30284.
- Mishra S, Ma H, Moloney G, Yiu K.C.Y, Darvin D, Landsman D, Kwong J.C., Calzavara A, Straus S, Chan A.K., Gournis E, Rilkoff H, Xia Y, Katz A, Williamson T, Malikov K, Kustra R, Maheu-Giroux M, Sander S, Baral S. (2021). Increasing concentration of COVID-19 by socioeconomic determinants and geography in Toronto, Canada: an observational study. Ann Epidemiol. doi: 10.1016/j.annepidem.2021.07.007.
- Rao A, Ma H*, Moloney G, Kwong JC, Juni P, Sander, Kustra R, Baral S, Mishra S. (2021). A disproportionate epidemic: COVID-19 cases and deaths among essential workers in Toronto, Canada. Ann Epidemiol. Volume 63, p 63 – 67. doi: 10.1016/j.annepidem.2021.07.010.
- Wang L, Moqueet N, Simkin A, Knight J, Ma H, Lachowsky NJ, Armstrong HL, Tan DHS, Burchell AN, Hart TA, Moore DM, Adam BD, MacFadden DR, Baral S, Mishra S. (2021). Mathematical modelling of the influence of serosorting on the population-level HIV transmission impact of pre-exposure prophylaxis. AIDS. 35(7):1113-1125. doi: 10.1097/QAD.0000000000002826.
- Bhattacharjee P, Ma H, Musyoki H, Cheuk E, Isac S, Njiraini M, Gichangi P, Mishra S, Becker M, Pickles M. (2020). Prevalence and patterns of gender-based violence across adolescent girls and young women in Mombasa, Kenya. BMC Womens Health. doi: 10.1186/s12905-020-01081-8
- Wang L, Ma H, Yiu KCY, Calzavara A, Landsman D, Luong L, Chan AK, Kustra R, Kwong JC, Boily MC, Hwang S, Straus S, Baral SD, Mishra S. (2020). Heterogeneity in testing, diagnosis and outcome in SARSCoV-2 infection across outbreak settings in the Greater Toronto Area, Canada: an observational study. CMAJ Open, 8(4), E627-E636. doi: 10.9778/cmajo.20200213.
- Mishra S, Wang L, Ma H, Yiu K, Paterson JM, Kim E, Schull MJ, Pequegnat V, Lee A, Ishiguro L, Coomes E, Chan A, Downing M, Landsman D, Straus S, Muller M. (2020). Estimated surge in hospital and intensive care admission because of the coronavirus disease 2019 pandemic in the Greater Toronto Area, Canada: a mathematical modelling study. CMAJ Open, 8(3), E593-E604. doi: 10.9778/cmajo.20200093.
- Cheuk E, Mishra S, Balakireva O, Musyoki H, Isac S, Pavlova D, Bhattacharjee P, Lorway R, Pickles M, Ma H, Gichangi P, Sandstrom P, McKinnon L, Lazarus L, Moses S, Blanchard J, Becker ML. (2020). Transitions: novel study methods to understand early HIV risk among adolescent girls and young women in Mombasa, Kenya and Dnipro, Ukraine. Front Reprod Health, 2, 7. doi: 10.3389/frph.2020.00007.
- Knight J, Baral S, Schwartz S, Wang L, Ma H, Young K, Hausler H, Mishra S. (2020). Contribution of high risk groups’ unmet needs may be underestimated in epidemic models without risk turnover: a mechanistic modelling analysis. Infect Dis Model, 5, 549-562. doi: 10.1016/j.idm.2020.07.004
- Roberts E, Ma H*, Bhattacharjee P, Musyoki HK, Gichangi P, Avery L, Musimbi J, Tsang J, Kaosa S, Kioko J, Becker ML, Mishra S. (2020). Low program access despite high burden of sexual, structural, and reproductive health vulnerabilities among young women who sell sex in Kenya. BMC Public Health, 20, 806. doi:10.1186/s12889-020-08872-6.
- Sivro A, Mwatelah R, Kambaran C, Gebrebrhan H, Ma H, Klatt NR, Zevin A, King’ola N, Wambua S, Gichangi P, Cheuk E, McLaren PJ, Mishra S, Becker M, McKinnon LR. (2020). Sex work is associated with increased vaginal microbiome diversity in young women from Mombasa, Kenya. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. Epub ahead of print. doi: 10.1097/QAI.0000000000002406. [PDF access].
- Ma H, Wang L, Gichangi P, Mochache V, Manguro G, Musyoki HK, Bhattacharjee P, Cholette F, Sandstrom P, Becker ML, Mishra S. (2020). Venue-based HIV testing at sex work hotspots to reach adolescent girls and young women living with HIV: a cross-sectional study in Mombasa, Kenya. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. Epub ahead of print. doi: 10.1097/QAI.0000000000002363.
- Wang L, Moqueet N, Lambert G, Grace D, Rodrigues R, Cox J, Lachowsky NJ, Noor SW, Armstrong HL, Tan DH, Burchell AN, Ma H, Apelian H, Knight J, Messier-Peet M, Jollimore J, Baral SD, Hart TA, Moore DM, Mishra S. (2019). Population-level sexual mixing by HIV status and pre-exposure prophylaxis use among men who have sex with men in Montreal, Canada: Implications for HIV prevention. Am J Epidemiol. Epub ahead of print. doi:10.1093/aje/kwz231.
- Wang L, Moqueet N, Simkin A, Knight J, Ma H, Lachowsky NJ, Armstrong HL, Tan DHS, Burchell AN, Hart TA, Moore DM, Adam BD, MacFadden DR, Baral S, Mishra S. (2020). Influence of serosorting and intervention-mediated changes in serosorting on the population-level HIV transmission impact of pre-exposure prophylaxis among men who have sex with men: a mathematical modelling study. [Preprint available].
- Becker ML, Balakireva O, Pavlova D, Isac S, Cheuk E, Roberts E, Forget E, Ma H, Lazarus L, Sandstrom P, Blanchard JF, Mishra S, Lorway R, Pickles M, on behalf of the Dynamics Study Team. (2019). Assessing the influence of conflict on the dynamics of sex work and the HIV and HCV epidemics in Ukraine: protocol for an observational, ethnographic, and mathematical modeling study. BMC Int Health Hum Rights, 19(1), 16.
- Becker ML, Bhattacharjee P, Blanchard JF, Cheuk E, Isac S, Musyoki HK, Gichangi P, Aral S, Pickles M, Sandstrom P, Ma H, Mishra S on behalf of the Transitions Study Team. (2019). Response to Hodson and Bewley letter. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. Epub Ahead of Print. doi: 10.1097/QAI.0000000000002102.
- Landsman D, Ma H, Knight J, Gough K, Mishra S. (2019). A flexible integer linear programming formulation for scheduling clinician on-call service in hospitals. (Trainee publication). [Preprint available].
- Becker ML, Bhattacharjee P, Blanchard JF, Cheuk E, Isac S, Musyoki HK, Gichangi P, Aral S, Pickles M, Sandstrom P, Ma H, Mishra S. (2018). Vulnerabilities at first sex and their association with lifetime gender-based violence and HIV prevalence among adolescent girls and young women engaged in sex work, transactional sex, and casual sex in Kenya. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr, 79(3), 296-304.